Generating Great Essay Topics: Brainstorming Techniques
Coming up with a good essay topic may include brainstorming. This is the idea of developing multiple ideas and concepts in a short time span or just writing down ideas spontaneously on a subject. Brainstorming can help you come up with new fresh ideas for writing on literally any subject. It can help you break down a general subject into subtopics or multiple ideas until you decide on your final topic or main idea. The following suggestions may help in deciding how to make the process fun and useful.
- Change your scenery. Sometimes when you are in a different location the mind tends to be more active or more relaxed. So, if you are used to doing your writing in a certain room or particular area, try changing it when you get ready to brainstorm ideas. Some may come up with a few ideas, and then change to another environment such as from indoors to outdoors (park, library, backyard, etc.).
- Have a brainstorming session with colleagues. Chances are you may not be the only one in search of a good topic. Your classmates may be able to benefit from a session and yo can exchange ideas depending on the subject matter.
- Make a map of your ideas on paper, also known as a mind map. You start off with the subject or your first idea in the center of the page. Then draw multiple lines from it and write down what comes to mind from the first idea. For each idea you could draw another line and repeat the process until the paper is full. Go back and review what you came up with and begin eliminating ideas that have no interest to you.
- Get input from your idea from another source and take notes. For instance, for each idea you come up with, get an opinion from someone you know. Write down random ideas that come from each source.
- Decide on a number and write as many ideas to help you reach that number based on the subject or idea.
The number could be 20, 50, or 100. The idea is to write down as many ideas, thoughts and concepts related to your goal topic. Don’t stop coming up with ideas until you reach that number. Not matter how short or long it is, just write it down and keep going.